Saturday, October 17, 2009

Concert Review: Metallica

Where? JPJ Arena / Charlottesville, VA
When? October 17, 2009

After having seen Iron Maiden, Tool, and a number of my favorite bands in the past, this left one major concert-going goal: my favorite band, Metallica. I had already missed the opportunity for the pit in DC, and eventually the show sold out as it was. So upon hearing they would be coming, at least within the distance of a long drive, I was determined to get there. So obviously I did.

We got to the show late, midway through Lamb of God's set. Admittedly, I wouldn't have minded to see their full set, and Gojira as well, but I was there for 'tallica. And that's all that mattered, really.  I will say however, that the little bit of Lamb of God that I DID see, that they are excellent live. Nothing too flashy or anything, BUT the musicianship was on point.

Lamb of God got offstage, and the lights went up. As the minutes counted down, the excited tension of the place increased. And then, the lights went out. Completely. And all one could hear, at least beyond the crowd, was  Ennio Morricone's chilling The Ecstasy of Gold. It led straight into the heartbeats the began That Was Just Your Life. A dark blue light lit the place, and then, as soon as the distorted guitar kicked in, there were lasers. Oh my God, there were lasers. They changed colors with each chord struck, and changed motion with the tempo. It was both ridiculous in the best way possible, and just plain amazing. Metallica sounded on point, as expected, and I was blown away. By the first song.

To go through song by song and just talk about how amazing it was, would... well, take forever. So I'll give a summary of the highlights:

  • Creeping Death - Definitely glad the old stuff showed up so early. It was heavy as hell. A lot of people say that James' vocals have gone for the worse when doing old stuff, but seriously, he was on point that night. No wah abuse :D  Great stuff. First time the coffin light fixtures were lowered, everyone was kinda surprised. This and Fuel, I'm pretty sure they played faster than the studio versions. It was insane.
  • Fade to Black - This was literally perfect. Better than the studio version. Low lighting, perfect solos. Everything was just... amazing. I can't say that enough.
  •  One - I'm just going to come right out and say it, the pyro gives Iron Maiden a run for their money. The multicolored flames, the floor fires during the intro. Awesome.
  • Nothing Else Matters/ Enter Sandman - Nothing Else Matters was played absolutely beautifully, exactly as it should be. But as soon as that last note of that powerful solo was played, it led right into the distinct opening riff of Enter Sandman, a song every fan in the audience seemed to go nuts over.
  • Encore -- Started with an absolutely on point cover of Stone Cold Crazy, originally done by Queen. Then, a huge surprise for the fans of the old days, they played Trapped Under Ice, the first time in.... a long time, if I'm not mistaken. Really good. And then there was Seek and Destroy. Throughout the song, the Metallica beach balls fell from the ceiling to the fans below, as they played, and the audience screamed every word. It's their usual last song for them, but is still an amazing closer to an amazing concert.
It was awesome, I don't know what else to say. I guarantee you I'll see them again. Epic.
Setlist:
  1. That Was Just Your Life
  2. The End Of The Line 
  3. Creeping Death 
  4. Fuel
  5. Fade To Black 
  6. Broken, Beat And Scarred 
  7. Cyanide 
  8. Sad But True
  9. One
  10. My Apocalypse 
  11. The Day That Never Comes 
  12. Master Of Puppets 
  13. Blackened 
  14. Nothing Else Matters 
  15. Enter Sandman 
Encore:
  1. Stone Cold Crazy (Queen cover)
  2. Trapped Under Ice 
  3. Seek & Destroy

0 comments: