Saturday, October 10, 2009

Review: The Hit & Mrs. - Ashes of Bridges

I have always enjoyed garage rock. The gritty imperfections, the fun, loud riffs, and the overall atmosphere created by a band whose main focus is pure music. So when asked to review Ashes of Bridges, the newest release from The Hit & Mrs, I had high hopes, knowing that their previous release Buried in the Backyard of My Heart completely embodied all that is garage rock.
 
I soon realized to let go of my expectations, however, discovering, not even thirty seconds into the first song, “Cold, Cold Days” which begins with simple acoustic guitar and harmonica, that this was going to consist of music portraying a much different side to the band.
 
For a three-piece band I was pleasantly surprised to hear the different facets that make up this bands music. Instead of the usual guitar-bass-drums combination seen in most bands that brand themselves garage rock, most of the album's songs stray away from this formula, such as the keyboard-heavy title track and the banjo laden “Time is Running Out” (which I might add is not a Muse cover, if that is what you were thinking).
 
Read More Here

0 comments: