Saturday, November 28, 2009

Major Label Notables - Fall/Winter 2009 (and a 2010 preview)

So, there are some decent recent and upcoming releases that I think are probably worth mentioning. So here goes.

A couple interesting releases...

  • DethAlbum II (Dethklok) - Admittedly this album went relatively unnoticed, despite the fact that the "band" is currently on tour with Mastodon in support of their March release of Crack the Skye. Brandon Small (or should I say Nathan Explosion), has taken a turn for the better in terms of vocal style, and musically Dethklok remains on point. Impressive for a cartoon band.  4/5 Stars. Released September, on the same date as Alice in Chains new release, Black Gives Way to Blue. This is an interesting release. It's good music, and a decent debut for William Duvall, their new vocalist. But you just can't replace Layne. 3.5/5 Stars
  • Liebe Ist Für Alle Da (Rammstein) - Despite, admittedly disturbing, album artwork, Rammstein continues to make solid music, with an equal dose of industrial and hard hitting metal. This is guaranteed to bother you if you have a thing against profanity, though, given the first single that was released, Pussy. Leave nothing for the imagination, will you? At the same time, the album features Bückstabü, or B********, a word that is meant for the listener to determine their own meaning. Excellent. 4/5 stars. Released October

  •  The Great Misdirect (Between the Buried and Me) - There's honestly very little I can say about this album. It lives up to the hype, which is something very few bands can say. Technical ability is exceptional as always. Some were skeptical given the first single, but I assure you. This album is also excellent. 4.5/5 Stars. Released October.
  • Raditude (Weezer) - This album had high points. It also had it's very low points (see: Can't Stop Partying). But damn it all if I can stop singing the single, (If You're Wondering if I Want You To) I Want You To. Weezer has perfected the art of the catchy pop-rock song, and I don't see a thing wrong with that. Sure, we'd all like to see a return to the old days, but I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt here. 3/5 Stars. Released November.
  •  Them Crooked Vultures Selftitled - Don't think I've ever absolutely adored an album like this in a long, long time. The collective efforts of Josh Homme, John Paul Jones, and Dave Grohl have come together in an sometimes unfairly criticized masterpiece. It's admittedly very strongly Queens of the Stone Age influenced (see: Interlude With Ludes), with an added Led Zeppelin vibe. I've been blasting it since I got it, and I still am in love with it. I rarely do this, but I rarely enjoy an album this much. 5/5 Stars. Released November.
Coming Soon...
  • Honestly, December 2009 doesn't look to good for rock, but I've always enjoyed the Bravery, so I figure I might mention Stir the Blood, to be released on December 1st.
Next year...
  • Expect new work from OK Go, Motion City Soundtrack, Eels, Godsmack, Alter Bridge, Coheed and Cambria, Suicidal Tendencies, Disturbed, Sum 41, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Against Me!, As I Lay Dying, Bad Religion, Blink-182, Candlebox, Crossfade, Dropkick Murphys, Evanescence, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Kings of Leon, Korn, Linkin Park, Motorhead, Nevermore, The Offspring, Pennywise (With a new vocalist?), Rush, Saving Abel, Scorpions, Social Distortion, Stone Sour, Stone Temple Pilots, Testament, Tool, and Van Halen. Given bands habits of supporting new albums, I think it's safe to say 2010 will be an excellent year for concerts.
  • Also look for Priestess's new release, which was already released in Canada, but due to label restrictions it has been put of in the U.S. for at least a few months. 
  • Smashing Pumpkins is also coming out with a 44 song concept album, to be released for free online over the course of the year.
  • Them Crooked Vultures and The Dead Weather are also said to already be working on their next efforts.
  • Slash's solo album is said to be already completed, and just awaiting the released date. God only hopes it's better than the work he did with Rihanna in Rockstar 101, given the lack of actual guitar in the song.
That's all from me. Look for some old concert reviews that I'm just getting around to writing, in the near future.

    0 comments: