Saturday, January 2, 2010

News: Soundgarden Reunion CONFIRMED

Chris Cornell... I can now forgive you for Scream. Just please never do that again.

As a big fan of, well, the vast majority of Chris Cornell's work, especially his earliest work, rumors of a Soundgarden reunion would always strike me with a certain amount of excitement, as well as an equal amount of skepticism. Between Cornell's statements of a reunion being unlikely as of June, possible as of July, and given that they have all been seen together as of October, it's slowly edging toward imminent. But it's the internet, and you should always believe what you read. Including the short-lived Wikipedia edit I made about Tomas Kalnoky being a god.

But it would seem that, as the ball dropped in Times Square, marking not only a New Year, but a new decade, Mr. Cornell had his own new era to start. A simultaneous Twitter and Facebook post, for fans, read as follows:

"The 12 year break is over & school is back in session. Sign up now. Knights of the Soundtable ride again!"
There was then a link to the apparently new www.soundgardenworld.com with the same short message, a place for name, email address, and optional mobile number, for future updates and additional information.

Upon reading this for myself, I really couldn't believe it. I mean, Cornell himself said it wasn't likely it would ever happen. But there it was, in plain sight, and being the Facebook addict I am, I was one of the first to know about it.  Shows how I spend "major" events, but that's neither here nor there.

No details have been released new music or potential upcoming tours, but I"m pretty sure it's safe to say that anyone who never had the chance to see them live, will finally have that opportunity. Between this, and the announcement of the Warped Tour bands (although not nearly as good as last year, but include one of my favorite third wave ska bands), among lots of releases rumored and confirmed for this year, I think it's safe to say 2010 is going to be a good year in music.

Happy New Year Everyone!

0 comments: